Even today, private maritime security is a relatively young industry and BLUE started work with Protection Vessels International (PVI) during its infancy. As the birth of private maritime security companies (PMSCs) mushroomed, PVI needed to maintain its position as the undisputed market leader in terms of size, revenue and operational footprint, as well as create the foundation for a natural evolution into complementary markets.
- To maintain leadership position in the maritime industry
- To leverage market leading reputation and underpin business development in oil & gas
- To manage the evolution from PVI to parent company, Protection Group International (PGI), as well as ‘stretch into related and complementary markets such as oil and gas and offshore.
As the undisputed market leader in an embryonic, and consolidating marketplace with little regulation, PVI’s business strategy focused on setting the benchmark for PMSCs in terms of standards. BLUE developed a thought leadership strategy centred on the key issues and challenges within the PMSC market. This focused on the importance of subscribing to the highest standards, illustrating the potential – particularly from a financial and an HSE perspective – ramifications for those who did not. Adopting the high ground enabled the smooth transition into the oil and gas marketplace, which places safety and security centre stage.
The thought leadership was ostensibly channelled through media relations and event platforms to build the brand and reputation of the company.
- PVI/PGI remains the real and perceived market leader for private maritime security
- PVI/PGI successfully leveraged its reputation in the maritime market to build its presence as Protection Group International across multiple markets including oil and gas.