When one of the largest global shipping companies, Maersk Line, a division of shipping behemoth A P Moller Maersk, approached BLUE for help in coordinating the media announcement of the largest ships ever to be constructed, the team drew on its influential industry networks and international press contacts to make this milestone announcement for shipping and the global economy a monumental success.
Working within a timeframe of a few weeks, BLUE was tasked with managing a major press conference in London as part of the global launch of the Triple-E, the world’s biggest and most efficient container vessel. The London launch was briefed to tie in with a simultaneous announcement in Hong Kong, and BLUE was responsible for all non-Asian broadcast media and online activity, as well as sourcing and managing event specialists PFPR and appointing online and social media agency FD Element.
BLUE secured a location fitting for such a significant announcement; former home of the London Stock Exchange, the East Winter Gardens in the bustling business district of Canary Wharf, which was the ideal candidate as a modern symbol of change and rejuvenation. With rumours rife in the media about the impending announcement, BLUE worked closely with Maersk Line to manage and protect the exclusivity of the largest announcement in the modern history of the shipping industry.
1. Identified and liaised with third party stakeholders and industry influencers to observe the event and provide positive support.
2. Developed strategic messaging and copy for global media invitation.
3. Managed global media invitation distribution process.
4. Liaised with more than 500 press across trade, national and international broadcast and print media to secure attendance.
5. Supplied messaging and input into content from Maersk Line to be used as part of online PR campaign.
6. Secured event compere and highly esteemed financial broadcast journalist Kavita Maharaj.
7. Prepared and briefed Kavita Maharaj and panel taking part in Q&A session, including Maersk Line CEO Eivind Kolding and Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering President, CEO and Director Nam Sang Tae.
8. Secured and managed interviews with the world’s key broadcast and print journalists.
1. 85 journalists representing the world’s press flocked to the East Winter Gardens.
2. Global coverage reaching 114 million people.
3. Interviews broadcast on seven television networks, including BBC, CNBC and EuroNews.
4. Strong online presence including leading environmental blogs and more than 1000 positive mentions on Twitter.
5. Print coverage including double page spread in The Times and appearances in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, French and German nationals Le Monde and Handelsblatt and influential Chinese business title 21st Century Business Herald.
6. Event attendance from key industry stakeholders and influencers, including the likes of BIMCO and Chamber of Shipping.
These results and the success of the day prompted an unprecedented article in industry daily Lloyd’s List, where Janet Porter stated: “Maersk’s announcement was a stunning public relations success…an extraordinary affair attended by not just shipping journalists but the mainstream media including television and radio broadcasters, as well as senior industry figures” – 1 March, 2011.
BLUE continue to work with Maersk.
Share this with your friendsTweet